Saturday, November 2, 2013

Reflecting 2

It is difficult to believe that it is 16 years ago today that God called my Mom home.  When I think of that day, sometimes it seems just like yesterday.  Yes, I still miss my mom, especially when there are exciting events that happen.  I think that she would have really enjoyed being there.  On the other hand, I think about what the last 16 years must have been for my mom and I would not wish her back on this earth.  Where she is now, is a much better place.
With my parents, my dad tended to be the one who loved to talk and make jokes.  My mom loved fun as well, but she was more quiet than my dad.  When I think about the life she led on this earth, God have her a tremendous amount of strength to be able to adjust to living in a new country, with a language she did not know, with customs that were different, a life style that was quite different, all the while raising four boys and one girl.  Mom's dad was a teacher and she grew up "in town," but when they immigrated to Canada, mom learned how to haul pigs and milk cows.  Quite a drastic change.
During the last year of mom's life here on earth, I visited her every day if I was in Abbotsford.  I remember one time she asked me to read Romans 8: 31 - 39.  She chose that passage not so much for her to gain strength to face death, but for me to be able to have strength to face her death.
Mom loved her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  She would do just about anything for them, if she could.  Her prayer was that each of us would follow the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength.  She was a great woman of faith and an example of a person whose strength was in the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. This is very touching, Winnie. Thank you for sharing your heart. As I think about my own aging parents and the scare that we had with my dad just last week it frightens me to think of living here without them. It is only my trust in the Lord that sustains me. I know that when the time comes he will be with me, just as He was with you when your mother went home to be with the Lord. May God bless you and keep you on the difficult days!

    ReplyDelete