Saturday, February 8, 2014

Snow Day Saturday

The past week, we had our first snowfall.  I know some people were waiting for the snow for quite a while.  Tuesday the snow began to fall in the afternoon and continued until that evening.  Here are pictures taken after the snow had stopped falling.  



Doesn't look like much, eh?  Well, it wasn't much compared to what happened later this week.  
The weather reports for this weekend were varied, as it common with weather reports here.  It seems that the weather patterns are difficult to predict, especially snow fall, because the temperatures hover around the freezing mark, so it may end up raining, or it could be snow, or it could just blow over.  As we moved closer to the weekend, the snow predicted for Friday evening into Saturday seemed to be something that was definitely going to happen, but the amounts were varying.  Friday afternoon ASIJ cancelled Saturday's Futsal Jamboree, based on whether it would be snow or rain, it was not going to happen.  Within hours, all the other games scheduled for Saturday were cancelled too.  CAJ had its "Little Women" full dress rehearsal scheduled for Saturday cancelled as well.  
It turned out that it was a very wise decision.  The snow started during the night and has been falling continuously since. 
Just outside the door looking at the neighborhood by about 8:30 a.m.
Around noon, I walked to the Lawson 100 store to pick up some items. 
Notice that the streets have not been plowed.  I've heard that Tokyo does not have snowplows.  It would seem that it's so because I have not heard one go down this street (it's only a block away).  
It continued to snow into the evening.  
Taken out of my door at about 6 p.m.
This is the snow piled on the ledge.  That shoe is a size 10 shoe, to give you some perspective. 
So, there has been a significant amount of snow fall today.  I didn't think it would snow that much.  It is supposed to continue off and on during the night but the sun is predicted to be out tomorrow.  
This was taken at about 10:30 p.m.
It had pretty much stopped snowing by the time I took these pictures at 10:30 p.m.  I did notice the wind had picked up though.  
What this unexpected Saturday Snow Day gave me, was a chance to do some things I haven't had time to do.  One is cook.  I bought two bags of Nagano apples a week or so ago, but haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet.  So, I made some apple sauce!  
I also had a chance make some roasted vegetables for dinner.  They were good.  
Dinner was good and I watched the movie "Capote" in honor of Philip Seymour Hoffman.  An interesting movie to watch, if you have not seen it yet.
It has been a good day.  I was blessed to be able to go to bed and know that I did not need to be up by a certain time.  It was good to scratch some things off the "to-do" list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment