Sunday, July 20, 2014

Dordt College and Sioux Falls, South Dakota

One of the things on my "to do" list this summer was to take a course at Dordt College.  It was only a one week course on Issues in Education.  There were pre-campus assignments and then work required during the week on campus.  Two years ago when I was moving across the continent in preparation to fly to Tokyo, Doug and Diane and I drove around the campus.  Prior to that, I lived on campus for 2 weeks, about 14 years ago.  A lot has changed on Dordt's campus.  It took a bit of getting used to when I arrived this time.  The campus is much larger now, a man who lived beside the campus, willed the land to Dordt.  There were buildings taken down and new ones erected.  Roads were replaced with green space and sidewalks.  Here are some pictures...
Welcome to Dordt College
Welcome sign for M.Ed. students.
The clocktower
Interesting in light of the Issues in Education Course.
I have the same thing on my ring.
This was here 12 years ago, but it's surrounding is a little different.
That sculpture is called The Gift
B.J. Haan Auditorium
John and Louise Hulst Library
East Hall, my first room at Dordt as an undergrad.
East Campus Apartments
The Commons, dining hall.
Campus Center.  The bookstore is in there.
Kuyper Apartments, where I stayed this past week.
De Witt Gymnasium where I went to work out each day.
I drove from Sioux Center, Iowa to Sioux Falls, South Dakota on Friday, July 18th.  I thought I'd try and get some pictures of the corn and soy beans since there seemed to be a the popular crop. 
Corn
See the cows, outside?
Soybeans
Once I was in Sioux Falls, Saturday, Julie L. and I took a 20 mile bicycle ride around Sioux Falls.  It was a bit cloudy but a beautiful day to go for a bicycle ride. 
Julie riding ahead of me.
We were along a river most of the time.

A controlled water fall, looking up.
Looking down.
Some Canada geese on the side of the path.
The Falls along the Big Sioux River in Sioux Falls. 
In about an hour, I will be going to the Sioux Falls airport and travel to Baltimore to visit friends there for a couple of weeks.  I have been blessed to be able to travel so much this summer.  God has given me traveling mercies and pray that I may continue to have safe travels. 




No comments:

Post a Comment