Sunday, August 31, 2014

Baptism

This morning, I went to Tokyo Union Church (TUC) for worship. The sermon was about about Moses being called to lead God's people out of Egypt.  Moses was an ordinary man with no super wonderful resume that would make anyone believe he was an extraordinary leader, yet God chose him to lead his people.  Pastor Chris also talked about how Jesus told his disciples to deny themselves and take up their cross and follow Jesus.  He said we may not have the super wonderful resume to be Jesus' disciples, but God still uses us.   
Entrance to Tokyo Union Church
I did not know it when I went to TUC, but they had four baptisms this morning, three adults and a baby.  It has been a long time since I attended a baptism and this is the first here in Japan.  It was a touching part of the service, because each of those adults who were baptized shared their testimony of how they came to that place where they accepted Jesus as their Saviour.  I am amazed at how in each of the stories these people shared, God used regular people to share the Good News with them, through actions and words. 

Baptismal font
Table with the water for the font, towels and candles for those who were baptized, and oil for the anointing.
Sometimes I can become overwhelmed at the tasks God has called me to do.  During our divisional devotions this past week, a thought occurred to me that, with the number of staff in that room, the number of people who pray for them specifically, as well as the number of people who pray for CAJ, is such a large number, and at that moment I realized that so many prayers are raised on our behalf.  I am blessed to be a part of CAJ at this time in its 65 year history.  I truly pray that I may be a person who shares the light of Christ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment