Sunday, October 5, 2014

How's the weather?

I had kind of forgotten about typhoon season.  Last year we had a couple, the first coming on our Back to School day in September.  This year, I didn't think about them much.  I listen to Canadian and US news, but do not listen to Japanese news very often, until it becomes a topic of conversation in the staff lounge or at staff meetings.
This past week, Typhoon Phanfone (Typhoon #18) was headed our way.  I began looking at weather maps to see which direction the typhoon was heading.  It looks like it's coming directly for Tokyo.  I believe according to the predictions, the eye should be over Tokyo during Monday morning's commute.  A wise decision was made to close school tomorrow.  It has been raining all day today, sometimes quite heavy.  There have also been some gusts of wind.
This morning I attended the 8:30 a.m. service rather than the 11:00 a.m. service, because I volunteered to usher.  I took some video as I was walking back to the station after church.  I apologize unsteady video, but you can hear the rain.
 
School cancellation is a little more complicated than just no classes.  This is our School WithOut Walls (SWOW) week.  Decisions still need to be made about the grade 11 and 12 classes.  The grade 12 class is scheduled to travel up to Tohoku tomorrow at 8:30 a.m.  The grade 11 class is supposed to pack up tomorrow afternoon so they can begin traveling to their points of departure for their Wilderness Camp on Tuesday morning.  The grade 10 class does not depart until Wednesday, and the grade 9 class remains on campus, for the most part, all week.    
Rie and I have decided that we will not go to get my Japanese driver's license tomorrow.  With the large amounts of rain and the possible windy conditions, it is probably a wiser choice to not try and drive on the roads (Rie was going to drive to the licensing place.  I do not need to take a driver's test, just hearing and vision tests and bring some other documents to get my license.)  We will do that another day, hopefully when the weather is nicer.
I pray that people may be kept safe with the rains and winds the next 24 hours or so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment